Option 1 – Change your IP to the same subnet range as the NET232/NET485
Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Network Connections -> Local Area Connection -> Properties -> Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)-> Properties
Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Network and Internet -> Network and Sharing Center-> Change Adapter Settings-> Local Area Connection -> Properties -> Internet Protocol (TCP/IPv4)-> Properties
Go to Settings -> Control Panel -> Network and Sharing Center-> Change Adapter Settings-> Network Connection -> Properties -> Internet Protocol (TCP/IPv4)-> Properties
Start -> Network -> Properties -> Network and Sharing Center-> Manage Network Connections-> Properties-> Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)-> Properties
Option 2 – Use the MAC address
This method is also called the "ARP Trick". It allows you to set a temporary IP address in the NET232/NET485 in order to access the configuration settings.
Note: For Windows 7 and later you must first enable telnet in your Windows Settings using these steps
- Go to the Control Panel.
- Click on the sub heading Uninstall a program under the main heading Programs. NOTE: If you are in the Classic View click on Programs and Features.
- In the left panel under the Tasks select the option Turn Windows features on or off.
- In the new window select the following
- Telnet Client
- After selecting click on OK.
The MAC address is located on the NET232/NET485 and looks like 00-20-4A-xx-xx-xx or 00-80-A3-xx-xx-xx.
Open a command prompt and enter the following commands excluding the brackets:
arp –s [desired IP address] [MAC address]
telnet [desired IP address] 1
(Note: Telnet connection will fail at this point. This is intentional.)
telnet [desired IP address] 9999
Press Enter for Setup Mode
Option 3 – Terminal Emulation Program (NET232 only)
- Attach the NET232 directly to your computer’s serial port or an external USB/RS232 adapter
- Unplug the power source to the NET232
- Open Tera Term, Putty or any other terminal emulation program (Hyperterminal)
- Open a serial connection and select the Com Port connected to the Net232
- Hold down the ‘x’ key and connect the power source to the NET232
- Press Enter for Setup Mode when prompted (Quickly, it will time out after several seconds. If so just start again)